Saturday, September 27, 2008

Mixed Feeling



The ASI bantamweight boxer feels bad for good buddies Jeevan and Bajrang, as the duo failed to make the cut in the same weight category for the CYG





Pune Mirror, September 24, 2008 Suhrid Barua

There's one man who is plumbing a mixed feeling on being picked in the eight-member Indian boxing team for the much-awaited Commonwealth Youth Games to be held in the city beginning October 12. Normally, a national selection is a big moment for any sportsman, but for bantamweight boxer V Durga Rao, there's some excitement laced with remorse - reason- his good buddies Jeevan and Bajrang failed to make the cut as the troika slugged it out for the lone in the three-cornered fight in the 54 kg. "I am bucked to see my name on the final list of eight boxers, but at the same time, I feel bad for Jeevan and Bajrang as they too have tried hard for a place in the CYG team," said the Army Sports Institute (ASI) boxer.

Durga is among six boxers from the Army Sports Institute to be handpicked in the Indian team. The other ASI boxers are T Nanao Singh , V Durga Rao, Vikas Kishan, Niraj Goyat, V Santosh and Satender. Durga admits that both Jeevan and Bajrang are 'attacking' boxers, something he lacks. "I know I'm not as attacking as Jeevan and Bajrang who are bellicose but technically I am more sound. I think that was the clinching factor in me outpunching them in the selection trials here," he explains.





The boy from Andhra, who has been attached with ASI since 2004, is positive about making a podium finish at the Commonwealth Youth Games."The biggest threat in my weight category would be from the boxers from England and Ireland. I think I've trained well enough to be ready for any challenge thrown at me," he said on a confident note.

No comments:

How poor managers can cause serious reputational damage to a brand!

In a fiercely competitive marketplace, companies always have one goal in mind – how it can be ‘best heard’. Companies are increasingly ‘tak...