Saturday, August 10, 2013

Interview: I still have a lot of hockey left in me, says forgotten Indian hockey midfielder Gurbaj Singh

This piece was published in Sportskeeda

The 2012 London Olympics was a disastrous chapter of Indian hockey – nobody probably could have imagined a wooden spoon for the Blueshirts despite their steady downward spiral over the years from the highs they scaled having won eight Olympic gold medals.

The cataclysmic Olympics campaign saw the national team undergo a bit of an overhaul. And one man, who was last seen donning the national colours at the London Olympics was Gurbaj Singh – a talented midfielder who continues to cool his heels on the sidelines.

Players like Shivendra Singh and Sandeep Singh have staged a comeback to the national side after being overlooked for a prolonged period following the London Olympics before being axed again. But in the case of Gurbaj, the international career road seems to be gripped by uncertainty.

The 24-year-old, however, exudes a positive energy even during this period of national wilderness and is upbeat about his comeback chances. “Look, to be picked in the national side is not in my control. I’m extremely passionate about hockey and it hasn’t changed one bit just because I’m out of the national team. I’m doing my daily training on a regular basis and fully fit. I’m ready to serve my country when the opportunity comes along,” Gurbaj says in an exclusive interview to Sportskeeda.

The Indian midfielder is considered as one of the talented midfielders around. There is a line of thinking that captain Sardar Singh is carrying a lot of workload in the midfield, which probably justifies giving someone like Gurbaj a look-in. “Playing in the midfield is my forte and I would love to play alongside a world-class centre-half like Sardar Singh. I’m also open about playing in any position, nothing gives you more joy than playing for the country,” he says.

Gurbaj made his senior international debut against Bangladesh in the 2006 Doha Asian Games. A product of the Ramesh Chander Hockey Academy (Jalandhar), Gurbaj gradually became an integral part of the national team. He was part of the Indian team which made a podium finish in the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup for four consecutive years.

Gurbaj was a member of the national team, which won the bronze medal at the 2007 Sultan Azlan Shah Cup, a silver at the 2008 edition and twice winning the gold medal in the 2009 and 2010 editions respectively. He also named in Asian All Stars XI in 2010 after the conclusion of the 2010 Asiad.

Did anyone be it the coach or the selectors have spoken to him after his national axing following the London Olympics? “No, nobody has spoken to give me so far. On my part, I’m just trying to be fully fit and match-ready whenever I get an opportunity,” he sounds confidence personified.

Gurbaj, who led the Indian junior team to Asia Cup glory in 2008 when they pipped South Korea 3-2 in the final in Hyderabad, is optimistic about returning to the national side. “I still have a lot of hockey left in me. I’m 25 and age is on my side for sure. I’m keeping my fingers crossed,” he remarks.

The Punjab Police DSP turned out for Delhi Waveriders in the inaugural Hero Hockey India League. And the experience has stood him in good stead for the future. “Definitely it will help me. Playing alongside guys like Oskar Deecke, Nicolas Jacobi, Simon Child and Lloyd Norris Jones was a massive experience. I have picked up quite a few things and will only getter better in future,” says the midfielder who has played more than 150 internationals.

The 9th Asia Cup will be India’s last opportunity to seal a berth for the 2014 World Cup berth. And Gurbaj, who was part of the national team, which won the 2007 Asia Cup thrashing South Korea 7-2 in the final in Chennai, wants India to clinch the World Cup spot even though he is not part of the national probabkles for the Ipoh event. “I’ve great memories of the 2007 Asia Cup which India won beating Korea by a big margin. I will be more than elated to see my country seal the World Cup spot,” opines the midfielder, who is also famously remembered for his goal against Pakistan in the 2010 Sultan Azlan Shah Cup, a game which India won 4-2.

No comments:

How poor managers can cause serious reputational damage to a brand!

In a fiercely competitive marketplace, companies always have one goal in mind – how it can be ‘best heard’. Companies are increasingly ‘tak...