Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Sandeep Singh-inspired Jaypee Punjab Warriors sneak past Ranchi Rhinos 3-2


Jaypee Punjab Warriors perched themselves on top of the points table in the 2nd Hero Hockey India League, sneaking past Ranchi Rhinos 3-2 at the Astroturf Hockey Stadium in Ranchi.

The result must have triggered a fair amount of disappointment for the home crowd, who were lustily cheering for the Rhinos, who were outmaneuvered in the latter stages of the game after they had shot into the lead through a penalty corner conversion by Moritz Furste in the 14th minute.

Undaunted by Rhinos’ opening goal, the Warriors came out firing and equalized through Sandeep Singh, who converted their second penalty corner after he failed to profit from the first one when the ball was not stopped properly.

Rhinos' Spanish goalkeeper Francisco Cortes had a busy day in office, nullifying Warriors’ raids with increasing regularity – the most striking was the way he foiled Jamie Dwyer’s shot from close range from a rebound in the 27th minute.

With confidence soaring after the equalizing goal, the Warriors pulled ahead in the 30th minute when Australian Kieren Govers made the most of their third penalty corner to enable his side lead 2-1 at half-time.

The Rhinos hit back early in the second half when Englishman Ashley Jackson fired home a short corner to make the scoreline 2-2. The Warriors again regained the lead when Sandeep Singh capitalized on a short corner in the 52nd minute – in the process became the top goal-scorer of 2014 HIL with 9 goals. The Reds pressed hard and were denied a certain goal when Warriors’ Dutch shot stopper Jaap Stockmann brought off a superb save off a fierce and flat PC drag-flick from Ashley Jackson.

The Warriors wrapped up their league engagements with 40 points from ten games ahead of Delhi Waveriders, who finished with 39 points from ten games. The Warriors will meet Rhinos in the semifinals, while Delhi Waveriders face Uttar Pradesh in the other semifinal.

To
The Personnel Officer
Assam Tribune Pvt Ltd
MRD Road Chandmari
Guwahati 781003 Assam


Subject: Applying for the position of Sub-Editor in The Assam Tribune


Dear Sir,

Trust all is well at your end. I would like to apply for the position of Sub-Editor in The Assam Tribune, as advertised in your esteemed organization (dated March 9, 2013).

I am really excited about exploring a job opportunity with The Assam Tribune, which has such a rich legacy in the North East region and is arguably the largest media organization in Assam.

I have fond memories of working as a freelance sports writer for Assam Tribune for close to four months in 2003 before I moved out of the state in pursuit of greener pastures.

I had my first full-time stint with Nagaland's leading newspaper Nagaland Post in Dimapur before I moved to Bangalore where I joined The New Indian Express as a Sports Reporter. Subsequently, I was offered a similar role with Mid DAY Bangalore where I worked for close to two years before I joined the Times of India's tabloid newspaper Pune Mirror in Pune in 2008 as a Principal Correspondent (Sports).


Sports reporting has always been my biggest passion, but I always looked to to diversify from sports in a bid to attain better growth and in this regard served Optimos India Pvt Ltd as a Senior Content Writer in Pune.


I also went on to work for India's number one commercial vehicle magazine CV in Pune and had a short stint before I took up an exciting role with a leading Pune-based Knowledge Process Outsourcing (KPO) as a Senior Business Editor.

Having spent more ten years outside Assam, I now desire to return to my home state and stay close to my family members, especailly my ageing and ailing mom who stays alone in Guwahati.

I have always shown an intent to return to Assam, but media job opportunities are scarce in the state and The Assam Tribune is probably the only organization, which is professionally run like most newspapers in the metros, can provide me such an opportunity to do justice to my area of interest and stay in my home state.

I have have more than ten years of work experience and is open to taking up any role in the ediorial department of The Assam Tribune.  I still possess a learning mindset like I used to have when I started my media career in 2003 and is a willing team member.

I strongly back myself to meet tight deadlines with minimum or no supervision and also help others in smoothly carrying out their work assignments.

I am ready to compromise on my compensaton if required to stay in my home state.

Sincerely hope my skill sets matches the desired job requirements.


Look forward to hearing from you.


Have a great day ahead.


Best Regards
Suhrid Barua

No comments:

How poor managers can cause serious reputational damage to a brand!

In a fiercely competitive marketplace, companies always have one goal in mind – how it can be ‘best heard’. Companies are increasingly ‘tak...